[Tfug] Beryl

Predrag Punosevac punosevac72 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 7 12:14:22 MST 2007

Calm down first! We will get you internet in no time.
My understanding is that you are using PC (not a laptop part although the
story is the same for wired connection)
Lets try firstly wired internet and then we will get you wireless as well.
I would reboot computer with LAN connected to LAN controller and
also another source pluged into your USB (You should also have a cable
for your modem that connect you to internet via USB)

Go to supper user mode and type
ifconfig

You should get the list of the internet devices running

If they are detected you can use the GUI tool to chose the network
On the bottom bar click on the icon of the World it is in the right corner.
>From there it should be self explanatory.

>From command line
type su -
then password
ifconfig

if you see let say that ral0 is up and running then just add
ifconfig_ral0="DHCP" (stands for the dynamic host it is just easier than
typing real IP address from the router)
You should get internet instantaneously.

To make changes permanent you should edit your /etc/rc.conf file. Remember
noting starts until YOU DECIDE
by starting Daemons in rc.conf.

If neither your LAN controller nor USB connection (I have never heard of
anybody not been able to connect at least
through USB connection) are detected. Look at the www.freebsd.org
Check the hardware list. Find your LAN controller on the list and which
driver is necessary.
In all likelyhood you just need to include the driver which is already
available into your kernel

Let say your LAN controller has atheros chip you add into /boot/load.conf
ath0_load="YES"

to add this driver into your kernel during booting (I do not suggest that at
this stage (maybe tomorrow) you compile your custom
kernel) It is trivial in FreeBSD to compile your custom kernel.

If you really have such BAD luck that your LAN is not supported go and get
yourself
on SWM (on the Broadway east of Cambel) a 15$ LAN controller which you
previously verified is
working on FreeBSD.

I am repeating you should have at least USB internet without any of this.

For wireless look the chapter 27 or Email me once you get wired first.

It is trivial but I have no time to type now.