[Tfug] A sense of time

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 6 17:35:04 MST 2007

--- "Charles R. Kiss" <charles at kissbrothers.com>
wrote:

> How about having multiple time stamps, or at least
> two?  One absolute
> (whatever this means), and one relative: one that is
> just a number that
> counts modifications to files: ie. the modification
> to file foo.tar
> [40]  precededed the modification to foo.tar.gz
> [41]?  Added memory
> allocation, of course.
> Perhaps a table somewhere that reassigns values?

Note that lots of things have timestamps, not
just "files" (e.g., email messages sent/rcvd,
log entries, crontabs, etc.).  You can come up
with all sorts of schemes to "fudge" the time...
but, the user can arbitrarily decide he wants
to think in terms of "old time" instead of
"new time with compensations for old time"
(i.e. "I sent that email at 5:00PM, how come
the log only shows an email sent at *4*PM...?")

[because you changed the system time at 5:07PM
you dolt!!  :< ]