[Tfug] A sense of time

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 6 17:22:36 MST 2007

--- Jim March <1.jim.march at gmail.com> wrote:

> We run into this problem in voting systems.
>
> In that application, with any luck you've got a lot
> of "eyeballs" on
> the process - party observers, precinct workers
> (ordinary citizens)
> and others so if you make the time/date on the
> system REALLY visible
> at all times, and at minimum tricky to change, you
> should be good.

Imagine changing the time/date on *your* (PERSONAL!)
"PC" was "tricky to change"... you'd complain that
"the time is wrong and it is hard to 'fix' it...".

People *expect* to be able to change the time on
appliances that they own -- they aren't worried
about someone auditting their microwave oven,
mailstation, PDA, etc.  :>

So, changing the *user's* sense of time has to
be easy.  But, at the same time, it has to not
compromise the operation of the device in
question nor introduce ambiguities and surprises
that the user isn't expecting "down the road"
("how come the backup I scheduled for 1:00AM
yesterday didn't take place?")