[Tfug] Why EVERYTHING is a learning experience :)

Jude Nelson judecn at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 13:05:11 MST 2007

I'm terribly sorry that happened :(

You are right--Atheros has mediocre support at best.  Whatever card you
choose to replace it, you can see whether or not it is compatible and
possibly how to install it by searching for it here:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/index.php/cat/10 (linuxquestions.org's
Hardware Compatibility List).  You can also see whether or not it DOESN'T
work by looking here: http://www.leenooks.com/page/show/Wifi (
www.leenooks.com is the Linux Hardware Incompatibility list).  From the
looks of things, I'd avoid Netgear and Broadcom wifi cards.

Also, regarding getting Sayabon Linux to boot from your disk...you'll need
to see whether or not there is a file called "menu.lst" under
/media/disk/boot/grub on your USB disk.  If not, create it and add this
entry:

title Sayabon Linux
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/<livecd-kernel> rootfstype=<your-disk-fs>
savedefault

...where <livecd-kernel> is the vmlinuz file in /media/disk/boot and
<your-disk-fs> is the filesystem that you formatted the USB disk with
(should be ext2, ext3, reiserfs, etc).  Once that's in place, run this
command:

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/disk /dev/sdb

That will install GRUB (the GRand Unified Bootloader, which most modern
distros including Ubuntu use) on the boot sector of your USB disk.  After
that, reboot, configure the BIOS to boot from the USB disk, and hope for the
best!

Regards,
Jude Nelson