[Tfug] Looking for a unique identifier

Rich r-lists at studiosprocket.com
Thu Aug 2 15:35:24 MST 2007

FlexLM and SPM are dirty, filthy copy protection software packages
published by dirty, filthy Macrovision. They can both be set up (by
the vendor) to use the MAC address of a license server. That's the
only reliable unique info you can detect on Unix boxes without
resorting to dongles and whatnot.

In the light of mutable MAC addresses, depending on your intent and
the value of whatever it is you're protecting, you might want to look
into Globetrotter's dongles.

Here's an FAQ: http://www.globetrotter.com/flexlm/dongle_faq.htm
The stuff about "Windows only" is BS -- I've used Rainbow Sentinel
dongles on all sorts of Unixes.

R.