[Tfug] USB

Predrag Punosevac punosevac72 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 4 21:58:44 MST 2007

> I'm using fvwm. It's really simple, I like working with the terminal, and
> it's light weight. There are a myriad of options, and I really wish I
> could get the time to dive into more specific configs.

This is interesting! I am planing to build one more computer (I built my
present desktop)
entirely from parts I found in the Goodwill store (You would be amaized what
people consider trash)
I would need very light WM. I have experiance with Fluxbox (since I use
FreeSBIE on campus as I
said earlier) and with Xfce which is re;atovely light full fleaged Desktop
enviroment.But I am really curious about
fvwm. I would really like to see how it looks.

> I didn't update from 5.4 b/c when I was setting up my system to
> go from being a box for tinkering to one that is reliable for my
> life back at school, the 6.x branch was still pretty new, and I didn't
> feel comfortable switching over. I'm still stuck with it now. It's
> running great, but I'd really like to 'rebuild the world' with more
>current sources.

I would strongly discourage you from rebuilding the world. The changes where
so dramatical
expecially now when Xorg is updated to 7.2 that the fresh installation makes
much more sense.
Xorg 7.2 is modular unlike Xorg 6.9 and earlier so you would have to
portupgrade everythig.
And there are just to many new dependencies and new features on Xorg 7.2
that would be ridicules
to run older version.

Portupgrading Xorg 6.9 to Xorg 7.2 is non-trivial thing. You have to read
documentation very carefully. It is not
just portupgrade bla bla..

> Some where on this list there is a guy who commits to the project

It would be nice if I could talk to him.

> I've just set up a headless system that I intend to use for a
> gateway/webserver. I have apache and php running on my main
> system, and that's about it.

I definitly want to learn little bit about Apache.

> I mentioned that I was going to learn some programming languages.
> Right now I'm focusing on java and php. Php b/c I like to build web
> pages and html with css only gets you so far, and java for school.

I do not like dynamical web pages. I know everyone likes it but I just
think it is a waist of resources.

And just a comment about my Open Sound System. I got all media to work
flawlessly.
The only thing is that I would like to learn if it is possible to release
the device from the
command line.

Sometimes if the application is suddenly interacted (of course if you are
careful enough this is never the case)
the sound device remained busy and unable to take another application.
Right now I was solving it by rebooting the system. This could be also
solved by configuration Mixer properly
as well.

Did you try to use mike and speakers simultaneously. As a matter of fact.
Did you use Void via SIP technology (Ekiga, Kphone, twinkle, linphone ). I
would really like to get that application. I am not mentioning Skype because
it is worse technology and one
needs a third party. Talking via SIP from fixed IP address to fixed IP
address should be a peace of cake.

I have information that video conferencing has still to many problems. If
you want to learn more I will give you references.