[Tfug] Our website: Round two

Rich r-lists at studiosprocket.com
Wed Apr 25 12:55:44 MST 2007

On Apr 25, 2007, at 9:49 am, Andrew Ayre wrote:

> I don't think there is a need to erase everything just to start.
> The new site can be built on a subdomain, as previously suggested,
> and moved to the www subdomain once complete.
Definitely the best way to go.

> I think the best approach would be for an agreement on what is
> needed, then delegate the task to William. It can then be tweaked
> when nearly finished.
So let's get that list started:

# static pages detailing:
#*   the purpose of TFUG, some history
#*   listserv pages
#*   meetings pages (probably a redirect to a wiki page)
#*   Policy pages
# wiki
#*   probably Mediawiki
#*   no edits without logging in
#*   admin-approved signups
#*   <s>Turing test to prevent the disabled signing up</s>

As mentioned by Erich, the wiki needs seeding, so pull in the Help
Desk and Links pages.

My ¥2.373: Turing tests are worthless, because they can be defeated
more easily by bots than by those with physical, sight or learning
disabilities. Please don't implement one unless it's truly
accessible. I've done some work in this area. Contact me off list if
you want to see it.

> Myself I would like to see XHTML Strict where possible and
> consideration of accessibility issues. I deal with accessibility
> issues on websites a fair bit and would be willing to give advice
> in that area
...that, and:
* valid CSS
* separation of content and navigation
* no tables or framesets

Additionally, it should also pay attention to IE's bugs and
intentionally broken design: according to the standards, the only
correct way to serve XHTML is as "application/xml+xhtml", but IE's
designers have chosen to defy this (http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/
2005/09/15/467901.aspx). Something about it being too hard for paid
developers. Funny, Mozilla managed it for nothing. Anyway, the point
is, some people can't choose their browser, so don't shut them out.

R.