[Tfug] FTGH: APC Back-UPS Pro 650

johngalt1 johngalt1 at uswest.net
Mon Apr 23 10:21:07 MST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeremy D Rogers" <>
To: "Tucson Free Unix Group" <tfug at tfug.org>
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2007 9:30 AM
Subject: Re: [Tfug] FTGH: APC Back-UPS Pro 650

> On 4/20/07, Sean Warburton <> wrote:
>> I'm sorry! I didn't know a series/parallel discussion would ensue...Here
>> was
>> how I found it: the positive went somewhere into the unit, and the
>> negative
>> went directly to the positive in the second battery. the negative from
>> the
>
> Umm.. so they were in series, not parallel. So if you added more in
> series, you would increase the voltage. That doesn't sound like a good
> idea.

Actually, it is a good idea. UPSes are rated by power rating (VA, or KVA) A
formula for power is P=IV, where I is current and V is voltage. Another
formula for power is P=I^2 R

As someone else in the thread pointed out, if increase teh voltage, you
lower the current ( I ). Then, I^2R (power) losses are reduced.  As a
result, power loss due to heat (resistance ( R ) in the wiring, connections
and circuitry) will be less for higher voltage in the battery bank.

Low end UPSes typically use 24V battery storage. However, when you look at
the 2KVA-3KVA range, they use 48V battery packs to reduce lossses. In higher
capacity UPSes, they design the battery voltage to be even higher.

Another way to look at it is: If your UPS uses a higher battery voltage, the
transformer used to boost the voltage to 115VAC will be smaller and more
efficient. The transformer (or inverter really), will not have to boost the
voltage as much, and pay for that difference with a high current.