[Tfug] FTGH: APC Back-UPS Pro 650

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 20 16:18:39 MST 2007

--- Adrian <choprboy at dakotacom.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday 18 April 2007 17:52, Sean Warburton
> wrote:
> [snip]
> > lead acid batteries. There are two of them (in the
> backup, they were
> > togeather...in parallel (I think? where the
> current lasts longer than one
> > battery, as opposed to in series, which yields
> more current/voltage,
> > right?).
>
> Not quite... You actually want them in series, not
> parallel, for 2 important
> reasons (in most applications that is).
>
> First, P=VI, so power is voltage times current.
> However, power is lost thru
> resistance in the battery and connecting wires,

But each battery only sees half of the load -- in
theory (given ideal batteries and chemistries).
And, the IR losses in the wiring are minimal.
The bigger issue is the overall *efficiency*
that the switcher can deliver -- see my previous
post.

I had a 3KW UPS that had a 120VDC battery pack.
It was *lethal* to operate it with the covers off!
But, ran quite efficiently since such a small
portion of the input power was "wasted".