[Tfug] FTGH: APC Back-UPS Pro 650

Harry McGregor micros at osef.org
Fri Apr 20 12:13:05 MST 2007

Larger UPSs go for much higher voltages, it saves a lot of money/weight
in copper.

As George said, phone systems use a 48V based power setup, but some
movement towards higher voltage DC power in data centers is gaining a
bit of ground.

Our large APC Smart UPS RT 10000 has a moderately high voltage battery
bank, to save on cabling costs within the unit.

Inside the UPS are 4 metal cartridges, each contains (8) 12 volt 5 amp
hour cells, in series, or a total of 96 volts, 5 amp hours for the
cartridge.  These are then wired in two sets of two, or 192Volts, 5 amp
hours each, and a total of 192 volts 10 amp hours for the UPS as a whole.

We also have  two extra battery packs, each of them with this same
setup, so the UPS system has a total of 192 volts, 30 amp hours,  more
than enough power to out last our non-backed up cooling for the room :).

5.7 kilowatt hours of storage capacity is quite nice, especially in the
small size (each battery pack is 3U, the UPS is 6U + 4 U of down
converting transformers for a total of 16 Rack Units).

                                                    Harry