[Tfug] MySql and rsync

Stephen Hooper stephen.hooper at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 22:49:05 MST 2007

On 4/17/07, Terence Rudkin <trudkin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Any MySQL experts out there?
> My company has a program using rsync to load files into a mysql database.
> It appears to mostly work, but some files are not getting inserted.   The
> process is loading about 5 records a second / 16k hour, not sure how big  a
> record is.
> Anyone with expertise is using rsync with mysql?   Or even Mysql tuning

Hi Terence,

Can you be more specific about what types of files you are rsyncing?
Are they flat files?  Files containing formatted data (like in a CSV
form)?

>From your description, I am imagining files that are being saved in
one place (say JPG's from a web application), and then rsynced to a
server with a MySQL database where something comes by, picks them up,
and does an SQL insert.  Am I close?

How about files with a bunch of outgoing phone calls separated by
tabs, and dumped by a PBX every night, then rsynced to a server with a
MySQL database where something comes by, picks them up, reads them in,
breaks out the appropriate fields, and makes a bunch of SQL inserts.
Am I closer with that one?

Anyways, I would say that whatever answer you get depends a lot on the
types of files... (but, in any case I am not a MySQL expert :) ).