[Tfug] OpenSourceHowTo.org

Stephen Hooper stephen.hooper at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 12:06:46 MST 2007

On 4/13/07, Paul Matthews <paul.matthews at opensourcehowto.org> wrote:
> Hi Stephen
>
> > Do you have a FAQ somewhere?
>
> No I don't, but thats a good idea, I'll put one on right away, do you have
> any suggests for the questions I could do there
>
> > Have you made all the content?
> > Who owns the content?
>
> I have written all the content by myself over the years, by website
> started being just a documentation website for my traineeship (part of
> traineeship required me to document everything I have learned) then it
> because just a point of reference for myself when I was setting up my
> Linux servers for my job & now I'm trying to turn it into something that
> will really help the community at large.
>
> > I think people may be more willing to contribute documentation if you
> > make sure they realize it is "open", and if you attribute it to
> > someone.
>
> Although I have written all my documentation myself I make reference at
> the bottom of the page a few of the links that helped me.

I wasn't really talking about attributing your references (although
that is both ethically, and functionally important), but of putting
the author of the howto somewhere easily readable.

I kind of grokked that you were the author, but I couldn't see
anything that verified that.

You probably want to do make reference to that, and also make sure
people understand that if they post up there you won't do anything
evil with their content.

As an aside, some kind of privacy policy may be good.

> pretty much just hosting fee's, I'm not making anywhere near enough retie
> just yet, i'm not making anywhere near my hosting fees just yet either.

Yeah :)

> thanks for the tip, like i said before, it started off as much a reference
> point to myself, so now that I'm trying to convert it over to a community
> help page, I going to need to change a lot.

No problem.  Like I said before, I think it will be valuable to have a
site like this...