[Tfug] [OT] A good brainteaser to flex your sad and flabby hacker brain muscles.

Sean Warburton hl2addict at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 19:39:08 MST 2007

Well, I think it would be most impressive if you could mathematically prove
it using quantum entanglement. You may even get the Unix admin's job:) I
have to put my money on Stephen Hooper, except, how long does it take to get
into this lightproof, waterproof, airtight box? Long enough for the bulbs to
cool down? Is this software engineering firm Google, by chance? I heard they
do things like that.
        Also, note the use of wood. Why not steel (or some metal), like most
electronics are housed? Assuming the bulbs are not LEDs and that they are
substantial enough to create heat (and those little Christmas light bulbs),
they could possibly heat up the wood.

On 4/10/07, Bowie J. Poag <bpoag at comcast.net> wrote:

> Lets see how long it takes you guys to figure this one out. :)
>

> Hack This Box
> ----------------
>
> You interview for a job at a local software engineering firm... Their
> interviewer, a Unix admin (of course!), walks into the room and places a
> strange looking box covered with signatures and times on the table
> infront of you.
>
> He smiles at you and says, "This is a completely sealed, water-tight,
> air-tight, and light-tight wooden box. It has three switches on the
> outside that control three light bulbs on the inside. You're only
> allowed to flip the switches while the lid is closed. If you open the
> lid, you're not allowed to touch any of the switches ever again. How can
> you tell which switch controls which bulb? If you can figure this out,
> you'll get the job. If not, well....good luck in your future endeavors,
> kid. You've got one hour. Incidentally, all those signatures and times?
> They're from everyone who's gotten a job here."
>
> ( Note: This is NOT a trick question--Yes, the box has power, and yes,
> the lightbulbs are screwed in, etc. There are at least two valid answers.
> )
>

> Bowie J. Poag, 17 minutes 5 seconds. :)

Windows Vista Ultimate beta (build 5600)
Ubuntu 6.10 (dual boot)
ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium
Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
dual eVGA 7900 GT OCs (full x16 SLI)