[Tfug] [Fwd: Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 released]

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 18:12:50 MST 2007

OK...so what's people's opinions of this?

What I mean is...I've been running the Ubuntu Feisty beta for almost a month
now.  It's astonishingly solid for pre-release code.  Total glitches to
date: right now boot times aren't optimized, and one auto-update of network
drivers caused my WiFi settings to reset, knocking me offline for about four
minutes tops.  I first loaded it in a late alpha state ("Herd 5") and even
*then* it was more stable and glitch-free than a lot of "release" distros.
Hasn't crashed once, alpha or beta state.  It looks like Shuttleworth and
company really understand that Edgy was a mess when it first shipped and
have made a major jump forward in stability with Feisty.

I've got OpenOffice 2.2, a kernel in the 2.6.20 series, xorg is at 7.2, in
many other ways as well Feisty is quite a bit past where Etch is.

For personal desktop use, what are the pros and cons here?

Server use, absolutely, no question Etch will have advantages...

Jim