[Tfug] in.tftpd denied

erich erich1 at copper.net
Fri Sep 29 19:06:33 MST 2006

Got it working fine in Gentoo,
                but there was a learnig curve for me too. I have a
trusted LAN,  and each box on the LAN can telnet/ftp to another. My
approach was to get telnet
working first, and then tackled FTP. The superdaemon, xinetd, plays a
crucial
role. It decides port permissions, and can be configured to generate
messages
to a logfile when a telnet/ftp client wants to connect to your box.
                Here is my /etc/xinetd.conf file:
.
.
.
defaults
{
    only_from      = 192.168.0.0
    instances      = 60
    log_type       = SYSLOG authpriv info
    log_on_success = HOST PID
    log_on_failure = HOST
    cps            = 25 30
}
service ftp
{
                     socket_type         = stream
                     wait                = no
                     nice                = 10
                     user                = root
                     server              = /usr/sbin/pure-ftpd
                     protocol            = tcp
                     instances           = 4
                     log_on_success      += DURATION HOST USERID

}
service telnet
{
                     socket_type         = stream
                     wait                = no
                     nice                = 10
                     user                = root
                     server              = /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
                     log_on_success      += DURATION HOST USERID
}
.
.
.
       As you can see. I like pure-ftpd. I "shopped" around to get what I
thought was best for me.

Erich