[Tfug] No warranty for software

Matt Jacob matt.jacob at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 23:55:04 MST 2006

On 9/27/06, sitkaa at email.arizona.edu <sitkaa at email.arizona.edu> wrote:

> Okay, in rebuilding the IBM partitions I pulled out the collection of (eight!)
> cd's to reload the OS. There is an eight page IMPORTANT! manual that
> grabbed my
> attention. It was basically a CYA (Cover Your Arse) document produced
> by IBM to
> placate Microsoft's plethora of jumpy lawyers. What is interesting about it is
> the number of languages it came in.
>
> I am curious if we can all figure out what languages it is in, so here for
> everyone, is the section titled "No warranty for Software", reproduced
> in order
> of appearance, all the different languages I can figure out how to type
> on this
> keyboard. Please identify them if you know the languages. Paranthetically
> postulated languages need verification.
>
> Good luck! No cheating! ; )

> Important! No warranty for Software - English

British or American? ;-)

> Wichtig! Keine Gewahrleistung fur Software - (German?)

Obviously German.

> Importante! Nessuna garanzia per il software -

Italian.

> Important! Exclusion de garantie pour les Logiciels - (French?)

Good call.

> !Importante! Ninguna garantia para el software - Spanish

Yep.

> Vigtig! Ingen garanti for Software -

Hmm. This might be Danish.

> Importante! Nenhuma garantia para Software -

Sounds like maybe Portuguese.

> Important! Sem garantia para Software -

No idea here.

> (Epsilon)nuavtiko! (Delta)ev (pi)apexetai eyyvnon yia (Alpha)(theta)yiouiko -
> (It looks like Greek to me?)

It all looks like Greek to me, but I think you're right.

> Important! Geen garantie op Software -

Dutch!

> Tarkeaa! Ei ohjelmia koskevaa takuuta -

Looks like some Slavic language to me.

> Viktig! Ingen garanti for programvare -

This looks really similar to what I thought was Danish, so it might be
Swedish or even Danish (assuming my other Danish guess above was
wrong).

> Pomembno! Brez garancije za programsko opremo -

Something Eastern European? Serbian? Some other country that was once
part of Yugoslavia?

> Vazno! Nema jamstva za softver -

Still Eastern European. What else is left? Polish? Croatian? Romanian?
Take your pick.

> Ba(x)har Nh(op)opmaunr! Hnkaknx rapahtnn ha nporpammhble npoayktbl - (It looks
> like a Cyrillic alphabet to me?)

Russian?

> Important! Nici o garantie pentru Software -

No idea, but likely Eastern European still (bunch of little countries
with their own dialects).

> Fontos! - (This one just lost me, I can't figure out where is the software
> disclaimer.)
>
> Dulezite! Vylouceni zaruky pro software -
>
> Dolezite! Softver poskytovany bez zaruky -
>
> Wazne! Brak gwarancji na Oprogramowanie -
>
> Onemli! Yazilim ic in herhangi bi r garanti verilmez -
>
> Ba(x)ho! (?)e3 rapahunr 3a Co(op)tyep - (I think one is also a Cyrillic
> alphabet?)
>
> Viktigt! Programvara utan garanti -

All of the above look Eastern European to me. Bulgarian? Ukrainian?
Czech? No idea which is which.

> (Some Arabic looking something.)
>
> (Some Hindi looking something.)
>
> (It finishes with four different ones in Chinese or Japanese or Taiwanese or
> some other ese.)

Well, that was fun!