[Tfug] No warranty for software

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 27 22:26:14 MST 2006

--- sitkaa at email.arizona.edu wrote:

> Okay, so if a computer has a software glitch, the
> computer software is expected to be fixed, hopefully
> ASAP or at least in the next update.

No, that's the point -- I don't think people *do*
expect it to be fixed!  Or, if they expect it to
be fixed, they ALSO expect that "fix" to hve OTHER
problems.

> Computer software is already so complex, mistakes
> are bound to happen.

That attitude is part of the problem.  :<  Automobiles
are very complex.  Yet, you don't EXPECT them to
suddenly shift into reverse while you re driving down
the street.  And, if something (even a SMALL
something)
isn't quite right when you buy a vehicle, you bitch
to the dealer and either expect it to be repaired or
expect to be compensated for it.

> However if a cell phone, IPOD, or other single use
> device, with simpler software, and a not-so-readily
> updatable programatic interface has a glitch,
> people are more likely to be upset with the device.

I don't think I would consider a cell phone a
"single use device"  :>  And, I would claim that
these applications are considerably more complex than
you'd imagine -- they have *real* constraints
(you can't swap to disk when you run out of memory;
and, you can't drop an interrupt because you were
"too busy" doing something else, etc.  Plus, you have
to fit in a very severely constrained physical
package (which limits what sort of resources you
*can* have available) along with power constraints,
etc.  (e.g., choices of algorithms can have big
impacts on power, EMI, etc.)

Also, cell phones are *easily* updateable -- since
they are provided by the service provider and that
provider's facilities are in direct contact with
that device "daily".

> I don't like it when Microsoft melts down, but I can
> fix it, even if I have to
> rebuild the system from scratch (as I am right now
> on my laptop). I don't have
> that option with a cellphone or IPOD. Or is this
> changing?

Again, my analogy seems to have missed the mark.
*Forget* the OS.  Look at JUST the MP3 player
APPLICATION.  That application, embodied in a
physical mp3 player, is regarded to a higher
standard than that same application RUNNING
ON YOUR PC.

Why?