[Tfug] Debian on the way out?

erich erich1 at copper.net
Sat Sep 23 12:38:29 MST 2006

There you have it,

          Last week I tried to upgrade/update my Alpha 233, and more
packages were broken than were improved. I finally got 'aptitude'
to install, and it did not provide a pretty picture as to the current
configuration of my machine.

          I think at least one bottleneck is building packages. Especially
for a fairly bygone architecture such as alpha. Well, give me the source
and I'll build it myself. (I have a custom 2.4.18 kernel running on this
machine obtained in this way.)

          The current plan is to blow away Debian and install Gentoo.
Sure it's an oddball architecture. But so what?  We build from source.

Erich