[Tfug] wdm on Debian woe

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Fri Sep 22 06:15:04 MST 2006

> --- "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed at reedmedia.net> wrote:
> > I have used wdm a lot on Debian (and others).
> >
> > I just used ~/.xsession to exec my window manager.
> > You don't need
> > Xclients.
> >
> > Did you receive any error message?
> >
> ~/.xsession doesn't get executed at all. That's the
> problem. I can't even open an xterm from it.

I don't know. Maybe a typo.

Maybe it is ran. Do you have an ~/.xsession-errors file? What is in it?

Maybe added an "echo something" to the top of your ~/.xsession and try.

Also wdm's Xsession script uses:

startup=$HOME/.xsession
if [ -x $startup ]; then
        exec $startup
fi

Your ~/.xsession must be executable. Even the README and INSTALL docs
included with wdm source say "MUST be marked executable".

So check that too.