[Tfug] Bicycle/Car Accidents

Bry Melvin brymelvin at melvinart.com
Thu Sep 21 18:41:44 MST 2006

> However not *any* four-door vehicle can fit me and my family.
True, but *most* of them will. Try a German car (how does that come out
in racist land? "sausagers"? "cheesers"?). An Audi or a BMW should do
you fine. If you could get French cars ("onioners"?) over here, you'd
have to struggle *not* to fit into a Clio or Megane. Or maybe one of the
modern "ricers" like the Honda Fit or the Toyota Yaris? Or heck, go for
the Nissan Verso (which is a Renault Megane with the fat arse trimmed
up). Kind of an "onion-ricer". Or would a staid British car
("fishandchipser"?) suit you better? Maybe a Jag?

Or maybe you're better off with a U.S. family car, like the Fusion.
(Um... help me out, is that "corner" or "maizer"?)

See Jon, I *know* for a fact that someone your size will fit into all
these cars, because I've seen it happen all across Europe.

> Not really up for arguing as only I can decide what is comfortable and
 > fitting for me.
...and there's the rub. You'll deny that a sensible car is comfortable
so long as you get the big bouncy SUV you wanted.

> I do however wish I could fit in smaller vehicles. I prefer them over
> their road and gas hogging cousins.
So do your research.

> What gives with the brats thing?
What gives with the "ricers" thing?

> See, OS zealots are just not tolerated in these neck of the woods ;)
> Remember what works for you doesn't always work for other people. In fact
> most professional employers dislike a zealot mentality. Hey I love Linux
> and Unix. It has it's place on my network and my employers network. There
> is also a place for Windows and other crap. It most environments its about
> getting the job done. Windows, Mac, Linux, Unix all have their place for
> getting jobs done.
You mean like hauling an 8' easel across town on the roof bars of my
Jetta? I didn't need a huge commercial vehicle for that. Same for the
twice monthly hay-restocking for my rescued bunnies.

> Let me take a hit off my hookah so I can understand these last paragraphs.
> Nope, still not making the connection :) I'm messing with ya.
Environmental awareness is no longer even loosely associated with the
"hippie" movement of forty years ago. Good grief.

Thanks for getting me off to a bad start on this list.

Rich.

Zealots could be done without just about everywhere. FWIW those proclaiming tax penalties for heavy vehicles MUST be totally city types. Not far out of Tucson are many who can't even use a car never mind a compact. Although I've seen a couple of the large Toyotas etc here as trucks most of them don't go far from paved roads. I even broke a GMC diesel P/U frame here a few years ago.

I actually pay a penalty already with my current P/U as I have gears that have my truck redlined on I19 when I have to go up to Tucson.That makes SUV gashogs look economical.

Without it though we'd never get to carry enough supplies up the hills we need to climb, It isn't uncommon for me to return from Tucson with 1000 pounds or more in the bed,

OH and for the guy who brought up a Jag...that's actually a Ford now...although I understand Jag is potentially for sale...and Rover etc.

OH and as far as the electric vehicles...even if I COULD use one what would the point be in running a Diesel or gas generator to charge  it...That would take a LOT of solar panels.:-) (more than the car cost actually)  Tucson is close enough to wild areas that even the citified need to look around them a bit before making sweeping generalizations. Not everyone in Pima county has public utilities that the city takes for granted.Actually Most of Pima doesn't when you include all the reservation lands.
That aside biodeisel is starting to look good to us!

Bryann   (near Arivaca)