[Tfug] Thank goodness for Bill Gates! (was: Bicycle/Car Accidents)

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Wed Sep 20 08:23:54 MST 2006

Chris Niswander wrote:
>>Charles R. Kiss wrote:
>>

>>>Unfortunately, if it weren't for cars there wouldn't be roads to ride on.
>

> "Thank goodness for Bill Gates, without him there wouldn't be an Internet!"
> :-)
>
> Now the next time someone says that about the Internet,
> maybe we will better understand how people can say stuff like that. :-)

Or the guy at IBM who once said there would never be a need for more
than a half dozen computers in the world!

Seems to me that Unix was around for at least 10 years before Microsoft
and I believe they were trying to network computers together before DOS
1.0.  ;-)

Somewhere in my stash of technology relics, I have a modem of the type
where you placed the call with a rotary dial telephone then laid the
handset in the rubber cups so the computers could *talk* to each other.

George Cohn