[Tfug] SUV [OT] gas

Benjamin Krein superbenk at superk.org
Wed Sep 20 05:24:20 MST 2006

Brian Masur wrote:
> Have you
> ever heard of a babysitter?
Ah!  A babysitter!  There's a cost savings for you!
> Make more frequent trips to the store and buy
> less each time on your way to or from wherever else you don't really need to
> be going (or don't, I hate seeing your brats in stores)...
Ok, 2 points - more frequent trips means more stop & go (along with
engine starting/stopping) means more gas.  What kind of an argument is
that?

And, you know what?  Maybe my "brats" hate seeing you in the store too.
> If you're 7'
> tall just slide the seat back and lean the seat back and you'll fit.  The
> cheaper gas is the more expensive it is, more expensive gas gives you
> incentive to drive/pollute less.  I hope to see some of the BMW7 hydrogen
> cars around here soon.

BMW7 hydrogen cars will catch on instantly for the vast majority of
not-so-rich Tucsonians, I'm sure.
> While this might seem slightly irrelevant to some regarding TFUG, i say
> similar things to people who keep insisting on using windows or macOS, kde
> or gnome, work harder and lose the fat.

Why does everyone insist on losing the "fat" in desktops?  Perhaps some
people happen to like eye candy and have the cycles to spare for it?
Maybe they bought those extra cycles so they could enjoy the eye candy?
Maybe it's more about choice and less about telling people what *you*
think they should be doing?

Aren't you the one looking for an alternative to Squirrelmail with AJAX
features preferred?  Isn't AJAX "fat"?  I'm confused.
> 19.7% of gas price goes to government tax.  Isn't it funny how our laws
> state that we can't include tax in the price of anything on stickers,
> labels, but in GAS it's not mentioned separately?

Most gas signs I've seen say "Including Tax" on the price.  That sounds
like "mentioning it separately" to me.
> Our gov taxing the bad things we use is incentive for us to not use it.  The
> income the gov gets from those taxes is incentive for them to keep it going.
>   Where is the incentive to sponsor renewable resources?  Who really owns
> Ford, GM, etc.?

Wait, I thought Ford, GM, etc. owned the gov't?  And do you really want
the gov't deciding what is good or bad for you to use and providing
incentives through taxation that encourages you to do the gov't's
bidding?  Not me, thanks.

Guess what?  I'm 5'10" and drive a 4 dr. 4x4 Nissan Frontier.  I use
it.  I own a house and making trips to the local hardware store or plant
nursery with *my own* truck saves me tons of money in delivery costs.  I
also use it recreationally.  I had a 2WD Nissan before this and it got
better mileage, but it sucked in the snow - I mean, it was quite scary.
Well, I live in Philly now, so I'm quite happy to have a vehicle that
both myself and my wife and "brats" can be safe in.  I'm sorry you have
issues with this.

</rant>

Benjamin Krein
www.superk.org