[Tfug] SquirelMail alternatives?

Ammon Lauritzen ammon at simud.org
Tue Sep 19 15:37:42 MST 2006

James wrote:
> I'm looking for a 1) stable, 2) secure, and 3) modern web based client for
> 500-users postfix mail server. It has to have a modern (maybe Ajax)
> interface. I wouldn't mind buying commercial product as long as it is 1)
> stable, 2) secure, and 3) modern, and runs on a Debian box. Any suggestions?

Only open source AJAX webmail client I'm aware of is RoundCube
(http://www.roundcube.net/), and it's still very much in beta.

The university's general access webmail runs Horde, which is tolerable
enough. It looks like the project has a more dynamic (AJAX-ish) branch
as well as a PDA-enabled one.

A quick googling doesn't show me any commercial products that seem to be
worth the time.

Honestly, I've never found anything that Squirrel didn't do well enough
for me, and I've maintained it in a several thousand user environment.
As far as security goes, it's trivial to run the app over https. And, in
the strange event that your web and imap servers aren't on the same lan,
it's got plenty decent support for secure imap as well.

With all of the assorted plugins written for Squirrel, it is still
plenty featureful.

Ammon