[Tfug] Automatic Update?

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Mon Sep 18 12:44:38 MST 2006

At 12:03 PM 9/18/2006 -0700, you wrote:
>But, the best solution, by far, is just to hack the
>sources.  I'd imagine a single strftime() call
>someplace that needs another 3 characters added
>to the format string  :-/

This illustrates an interesting split in the Linux user approach to the
Linux fiddler approach (no denigration intended, just can't come up with a
better word).  As a Linux user, modifying the /etc/logrotate.d/yum file to
rotate the yum log file is a nice clean engineering approach that lets me
get back quickly to using Linux to do my real job.  Yeah, yum's log output
is still "broken," but  this approach allows me to avoid the
coding/testing, swearing, recoding/retesting (loop several times) effort.
Since I'm a Fortran guy I'd have to drag out my c or c++ fake book to make
the changes.  The beauty of Linux is that there are usually several ways to
fix a problem.  Downside is finding the one that fits (as in finding the
correct FM to R).

Jim
| Jim Secan           | Northwest Research Assoc, Inc |
| (jim at nwra.com)      | 2455 E. Speedway, Suite 204   |
| (520) 319-7773      | Tucson, Arizona 85719         |