[Tfug] Shameless Parts offering

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 18 01:07:23 MST 2006

--- Stephen Hooper <stephen.hooper at gmail.com> wrote:

> Out of curiousity, how do you discard your used
> monitors?  I can't just throw them away, as it
> isn't environmentally kosher,

Especially not in a place that relies on ground water!

> but paying someone to haul them off seems silly.

It's only a matter of time before you will see
monitors coming with "deposit fees" tacked on at
time of sale -- refunded when the monitor is
disposed of at a proper recycling facility.

> Any good places around town?

WorldCare (www.worldcare.org) will scrap them for you.
Or, you can bring them to the city's "hazardous waste
recycling".  There's a staffed facility on the west
side of town (somewhere).  Also, the various
"city halls" around town usually have monthly
programs where they will accept these sorts of
things (along with other things more commonly
considered as "hazardous waste" -- paints, solvents,
etc.)

> I have about thirteen 20/24 inch Suns that are
> dead, dying, or that have screen damage.

Some of the 20 inch Sun's (e.g., GDM500PS) can
someties be "rejuvenated".  But, it's a lot of
work.  They are quite a PITA to disassemble -- and
awfully heavy to manhandle.  A shame as they are
quite nice monitors.  I've never played with a 24"
monitor -- I have to sit pretty far back from my
desk with 20" monitors as it is!  :>

Good luck!
--don