[Tfug] OT: Fixing a sticky keyboard

Jeremy D Rogers jdrogers at optics.arizona.edu
Sat Sep 16 07:45:04 MST 2006

In *theory* you should be able to submerge the hole thing in water as
long as it is not plugged in / batteries are removed. I've done it
before with cheap wired keyboards I didn't care about too much, and as
long as you allow it to completely dry out before you power it back
on, it should be fine and the soaking in the water bath will dissolve
away all the sugars (in my case it was Dr. Pepper). However, you do
run the risk of completely munging your kb, so I would do it only as a
"this keyboard is now officially going in the trash if I can't fix it"
kind of last resort. Coke is pretty acidic/corrosive, so if it gets on
the actual metal bits of the wiring and PCBs, it could be bad. I had a
laptop keyboard loose the fight with lemonade, and no amount of
cleaning could console it.
Cheers,
JDR