[Tfug] why not cable?

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 11:18:44 MST 2006

On 9/13/06, Shawn Nock <nock at email.arizona.edu> wrote:
> Chad Woolley wrote:
> > Thanks for mentioning this Peter, I hadn't thought of this (or how
> > important it was).  I'm a work-at-home employee, so I live by remote
> > control software.  I now know I can never go to cable and expect the
> > same performance as DSL.
> >

> Analyze your situation, read the material readily available and make and
> informed decision based on your needs. Take subjective experiences from
> Internet know-it-alls like me with a grain of salt because: YMMV.

You are completely right.  I know what I have works adequately, so
I'll probably stick with it for now.  I'm afraid of change, especially
when it could cripple me and I won't have the time to deal with it :)

Regardless of what I read or hear, if I ever switch I'll probably run
both in parallel (or keep DSL live as backup) for a couple of months.
To do anything else when I depend on my connection would be crazy :)

Connection sharing sounds really cool too, if I could combine both DSL
and cable and have increased bandwidth and redundancy.  How does that
work?  Are there x-nix utilities that can do that if you set up a box
as a bridge or multiplexer or something?

-- Chad