[Tfug] why not cable?

Stephen Hooper stephen.hooper at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 19:23:00 MST 2006

> So I've got 6 Mbps cable service from Comcast.  And it's pricey, too (by my
> standards).  It's $65/mo for the service I receive.  But... if you also sign
> up for basic cable TV service (that's just the local channels) then you get
> $10 off your bill for a total of $55/mo.  The best explanation I have heard
> for this is that Comcast wants you to be a "cable TV subscriber" at all
> costs.  This inflates their subscriber base and so they can charge advertisers
> more.  I don't know if this is the real reason, though.

You still have to pay for cable TV right?

I thought the reason was that it was impossible for them to block
basic cable if you are a cable modem customer.  That is why they
decided to bundle the two together for a "lower" cost.  You can either
pay them, and receive basic cable; or not pay them, and receive basic
cable.

If they are actually charging you less than the cost of both cable tv,
and internet then they are being super cool, and my whole world view
about cable companies is shattered.