[Tfug] DakotaCom and Gain Merger

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Mon Sep 11 08:05:19 MST 2006

t takahashi wrote:

> not to be too skeptical, but do you own stock or options?

Just my .02 with Simply Bits.

I started with Azstarnet in 1995.  Then they sold out to Mindspring.  I
wanted DSL but Qwest couldn't do it as I was 18,000 feet from the CO.

I kept checking and one day stumbled onto bblabs.  They said I qualified
for DSL at the the then current 768K speed so I had them installed and
dropped Mindspring.

I'm assuming that's when Qwest installed their DSLAM about a mile up the
road from me.

Two weeks later, Mindspring sent me an e-mail saying I qualified for
their 256K DSL!

Later Qwest and bblabs upgraded to the 1.5 mb DSL so that's what I have now.

Other than a few times where I've had to reboot the DSL router, the only
outages I've had was one caused when Simplybits did an upgrade and my
account got hosed.  Steve fixed it right away.  The other was recently
when Qwest had my pair split with another subscriber.

Other than that, I've had very respectable service.

No, I don't have stock in either Qwest or Simplybits.  ;-)

George Cohn