[Tfug] DakotaCom and Gain Merger. Was Simply Bits? - Strike 1

Craig Daters craig at daters.net
Sat Sep 9 14:09:59 MST 2006

My company just switched to Simply Bits after we experienced a few to
many T1 outages with DakotaCom. So far the service is great, though a
few times the speed has seemed a little slow. I have not had a chance to
really test the bandwidth yet. The owner has turned almost all of our IT
stuff over to Nextrio, a sister company of Simply Bits. I still am not
sure how I feel about this, as I built our network from the ground
up--but he signs the paychecks.... And in fairness to him, I was being
pulled in many different directions prior to that move.

Nextrio put in a MikroTik firewall solution using RouterBoards and
RouterOS. We will have failover features which will fail over to Cox
cable in the even that SimplyBits ever dies for some reason. We were
using SmoothWall Corporate Server, a Linux based software firewall
solution which is pretty robust, but Nextrio went with what they knew,
and the MikroTik router can act as a wireless hotspot which is one of
the things we wanted. Smoothwall does not do this.

--
Craig D.