[Tfug] Desktop machine has become unusable in Linux

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Fri Sep 8 17:37:48 MST 2006

On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 04:29:08PM -0700, John Gruenenfelder wrote:
>The only thing I did last night to the system was a package update with
>aptitude.  I'm running Debian/Sid.  I've dealt with odd problems before, but
>this has me stumped.  If it were caused by the update my usual process would
>be to boot with Knoppix, chroot, then fix the problem.  But I can't do that in
>this case.  :(

Well, after more digging, it looks like this update is the culprit.  Checking
the Debian bug database for the "sysvinit" package, it seems there was a
brokeb update-rc.d script shipped in the -16 version I installed last night.
It had the effect of nuking a bunch of init script links for any packages that
were also updated at the same time.

So... it's fixed now in the -18 release.  All I need to do now is get onto the
machine somehow and then I can fix the scripts.  Then it should be okay.

This doesn't explain the oops with Knoppix, of course, but perhaps that's a
problem to deal with at a later time.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.