[Tfug] Help, LILO hijacked my computer

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 09:39:59 MST 2006

Hi,

I really had to use a lot of restraint to not put a taboo subject line
like "EMERGENCY! PLEASE HELP ASAP".  But I really would like some help
:)

I rebooted by linux work computer today (after a couple weeks uptime),
and it refuses to boot, printing "L 99 99 99 99....."

I know this is a LILO error message, but I have grub installed (Ubuntu
server install).  Where did LILO come from?

I have RAID 1 on two sata drives (second and third channels).  The
last thing I did was remove an extra sata drive (on first channel)
that I was no longer using (an old OS).  However, when I did that I
tweaked my fstab and everything rebooted fine then.

I can boot an Ubuntu CD and get a shell with my boot partition
(kernels and grub) mounted, but I don't know what to do now.  I'm
guessing my MBR got screwed somehow, but I don't know how to fix it.
Reinstall grub on the MBR?  How?

I can provide any additional info that may help.

I just noticed that all my paragraphs start with "I".  Very
self-centered, aren't I?

Thanks,
Chad