[Tfug] Whats the biggest, most powerful/expensive system you have under your care?

Bowie J. Poag bpoag at comcast.net
Sat Sep 2 20:54:53 MST 2006

Hey Tom! :)

Hey, I never claimed to have the biggest & baddest, but that's our
group's current heavy-hitter. The guys in the Wintel group have a giant
pile of Citrix servers, but they don't have anything, singularly, that
matches it hardware-wise.

Whats interesting is, that setup I described is big and pricey not for
it's ability to be a workhorse, but simply because it's built for speed.
It's like 15% busy around the clock.. Like I said, it's a database
server.. Really, only a trickle of data goes in and out of that thing.
Its just that the trickle has to be hyper-fast, no matter what. Simple
query or bizzarro query.

We have a server consolidation project happening soon, where a ton of
gear is being replaced with a VMWare ESX server farm. I'd imagine that
the ESX servers that we have coming in are going to be the new kings of
the server room. Went to a VMWare dog and pony show in Phoenix a month
ago. Wild stuff, that thar ESX.

Cheers,
Bowie