[Tfug] Language choices

Brian Murphy murphy+tfug at email.arizona.edu
Mon Oct 30 21:22:15 MST 2006

Quoting Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com>:
> Note that none of these personnel are particularly
> "computer literate".  None are "hackers".  But,
> they all have real needs to imppose on the control
> system.  So you think they want to dick with
> declaring variables before use?  Or, counting
> nested parens?  Or, compiling/linking their code?
> Or, even having to bracket their code with:
>
> int main(int argc, char *argv[])
> {
> }
>
> And, their code has to run fast.  Sure, 5ms sounds
> like an eternity -- until you realize there are lots
> of other things happening in each of those 5ms
> windows.

I just got back from my weekend in Phoenix so I'm going to jump in late
in the thread without reading the previous 10,000 lines of argument.
(or even the original requirements! lol)

Really, if the ppl who have to modify the system don't have the skills
to modify the code, don't give them the code.

Build a macro language that transforms the operator's requirements into
the underlying code of your choice.

Think what sendmail.mc is to sendmail.cf.

That is all.

Brian

The opinions or statements expressed herein are my own and should not be
taken as a position, opinion, or endorsement of the University of
Arizona.