[Tfug] Language choices

Tim Ottinger tottinge at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 19:47:09 MST 2006

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 16:38:18, Chris Niswander <cn.tfug.account at bitboost.com>
wrote:

> >for node in nodes: print node
> >           v.
> >nodes.each { }node| puts node }
>
> So, in this context, what do you mean by "more correct"?

"More correct" isn't "more correct".  It's more powerful, better for
programmers, smarter in its way.  When you're used to blocks, you can hardly
stand not having them.. Blocks are a very powerful abstraction, and make
writing code a lot simpler and more clean for people who are block-infected.
I'm sorry that it sounded like there was some kind of formal correctness
proof.

I think that the first one is easier for people to grasp. I think that
probably makes it "a more correct choice" for people who aren't programmers,
like visual basic users. ;-)

I'm not really trying to have a language war either, I'm just
> wondering what this ideal correctness thing is, and where it
> comes from or how it can be established.

I hadn't realized I'd used the word that way.  Sorry if it sounded like more
than I'd meant.

Tim