[Tfug] Booting from USB Harddrive

Charles R. Kiss charles at kissbrothers.com
Sun Oct 29 00:19:40 MST 2006

The live CD is kinda slow for extended usage; over a few days.  Suppose I just install everything once (before I leave, just create a root partition... dd parts of my old harddrive), and then, if the kernel is recompiled with the new hardware, it just boots back up again, and works, right?  Provided the hypothetical parents' computer can take it. Right?

With the root, swap and home partition already installed with the apps on root, I just go through the "timezone", "language," and the "configure hardware" steps and skip the partitioning and package installations, right?

If I just dd the stuff over and head to the parents house and recompile with the installation disk, is that the idea?

Well, I'll be sure to take a LIVE CD with me, just in case.

Thanks,
charles

>your mileage may vary but if your hypothetical parents have an older
>computer it may not be happy booting from usb.  i have lost much
>hair trying to do the same.
>
>best of luck

Thanx