[Tfug] SCSI cable adapter

john galt johngalt1 at uswest.net
Sat Oct 28 12:55:03 MST 2006

From: "Bexley Hall" <bexley401 at yahoo.com>
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if a certain type of SCSI cable
> adapter exists:
>
> One side needs to be DB25S (female) and the other
> side needs to be HD50P (male).
>
> I.e. I have a PCMCIA SCSI card that terminates in
> a DB25P (male).  I want to plug this into a
> standard HD50S SCSI peripheral (what many folks call
> "SCSI 2" to differentiate it from the Centronics50
> used on older SCSI cables).
>
> I *think* I can hack together a workaround using
> a similar adapter -- but it has the wrong gender
> SCSI connector on it.  I.e. it has DB25S on one
> end and HD50S on the other.  So, to use it, I
> would have to connect it's HD50S to the peripheral's
> HD50S using a standard male-male HD50 cable.
> (I guess this is probably how it is *expected*
> to be used  :<  I just don't want to put an
> EXTRA pair of connectors in the overall cable).
>
> <grrr> Why the hell can't things standardize on
> *one* connector?  :<

You make me chuckle. The topic of SCSI "standards" is far
worse than the problem you are having.

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/scsi_connecters.html

http://www.scsita.org/aboutscsi/Pictures.html

http://www.cablemakers.com/connector.html

Then to complicate things... given some devices.... you
might have the cables to connect things but oops, you are
connecting to a RAID array which uses high voltage
differential SCSI. Need different card in the host. Then
there's the whole Fiber SCSI / Channel thing...

In a perfect world your PCMCIA adapter would have the cable
terminating in a HD50M that it probably came with
originally. (well, as Adaptec PCMCIA cards originally come
with:  both LD50 and HD50 cables)

SCSI Host Bus Adapters, drives and peripherals *usually*
have a female connector on them, IMO. So in my view the
PCMCIA adapter (with its proprietary connector on the card)
and your female-femail adapter is oddball.

Hey, if everything connects and the cables are not too long,
BE HAPPY.