[Tfug] Language choices

Tim Ottinger tottinge at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 08:14:18 MST 2006

I think that as far as programmability Ruby is cooler, but I think that if
you are talking about "regular people", blocks will be harder to grasp than
loops (even though blocks are clearly the superior mechanism).   But I think
that either is a good choice due to the popularity, simplicity, and
expressive power as well as due to the wealth of documentation on the web.
I don't want to have a language war, but I think that ruby's mechanism is
more correct while python's is more obvious to average people.

for node in nodes: print node
           v.
nodes.each { }node| puts node }

BTW, this is the very first time that I've ever considered that the python
iteratoin mechanism may have an advantage.