[Tfug] Language choices

Robert Hunter hunter at tfug.org
Fri Oct 27 12:24:08 MST 2006

> I'm looking for ideas for a lightweight scripting
> language to build into a couple of things.  But,
> I am unsure of the exact criteria I want to
> impose on my selection  :<

Don, I haven't used or developed any embedded scripting languages,
but  for what it's worth...

There are quite a few embeddable scripting languages listed at
Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scripting_language#Extension.2Fembeddable_languages

Given my penchant for Scheme, I am interested at some point in using
libguile in a project.  Guile is the "official" GNU extension
language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guile_programming_language
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/guile.html#whatisit

On the other hand, if I were going to implement my own, I would
probably want to stick with a simple language.  It seems to me that
writing an ML interpreter would be fairly challenging.

--
Rob