[Tfug] OT: Disk testing

Ronald Sutherland rsutherland at epccs.com
Mon Oct 23 20:29:03 MST 2006

I don't have much time during week days.. between a Pima class and work
I can't even do proper lurking. But some fast comments, current limit ..
ya .. its no fun to plug into a hot source with high current limit (pop
.. ekk .. wait for sight to return... a good day). So a number of
smaller independent sources with lower current limit is much better. At
any rate I don't think power usage should be a concern, the real issue
is elegance or lack of, and big globs of wires lose in that competition
every day. Even so...

Not sure if you were going to do the testing or someone else, or how
many units needed tested. What I have in my mind is a PC (or more as
needed) with 2-5 mobile docks. The operator installs the HD's in dock,
plugs them in PC and turns on the power. The test runs automatically
after boot and unmounts all HD's at end of test, leaving PASS/FAIL info
on screen and log (or stuffs it into a network server). The test
operator then powers off the PC and removes HD's. If a surface scan is
anything like mirroring then that takes me a long time on >60GB HD's.

The test PC(s) ATX supply could be smaller (200-350W) if fewer HD's are
used, that keeps a reasonable current limit and is cheep, also no cards
or extra boards needed (just mobile docks). Don't know about you but I
have a few extra PC's at work (and home), putting them (the work ones)
to use like that would be my path of least resistance, although I would
expect them to self destruct from power cycling. I'm not sure power
cycling USB hardware is any better but it may be, most of this consumer
crap is full of low end electrolytic capacitors and is not really tested
for reliability.

The fixture is a mid tower PC case with 2 to 5 5-1/4" mobile docks
mounted. You don't have to mount the HD's in the dock carrier, just plug
in the IDE cable and power, set the HD down in carrier, and slide the
carrier into the case. Everything is enclosed and out of the way, no
wires dangling on bench, to drop a screw driver on.