[Tfug] OT: Disk testing

Ronald Sutherland rsutherland at epccs.com
Sun Oct 22 12:39:27 MST 2006

I'm thinking that USB will not scale past a few HD's, I guess I'd
personally be thinking along the lines of multiple PC's. With a test
program that runs after startup in each. I'd probably also get some
cheep IDE cards to add IDE channels, I've seen some that add 2 (or 4)
IDE channels from HighPoint and others, and if I remember they claim to
work in Linux. After adding 4 IDE channels, one master drive per
channel, that should give 6 master IDE's total, keep one for system and
use the rest for testing. Since I've never tried this sort of thing, I
wonder if its possible to kill the power to an IDE master only and
remove it while leaving the other masters running. Also I think that the
PCI data bus will saturate around 5 to 6 HD's so more than that per
system may not be faster, if I'm wrong about that then fill more PCI
slots with IDE cards.

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/r133.htm

Adding some mobile rack type things in system may help also.

http://www.kingwin.com/mobileracks.asp