[Tfug] HP/nForce MAC address set incorrectly

Rich Smit rfs_lists at mac.com
Thu Oct 19 12:15:42 MST 2006

I thought I'd share this with you, even though it's hardware related. It
might explain other network weirdnesses elsewhere and I haven't seen it
mentioned anywhere on the web.

Here at work, we bought a pair of HP Pavilion a1410e machines. They
arrived about a month before I started here, so I'm guessing when I say
they were bought from the Broadway branch of Circuit City.

Unlike the other nForce-based HPs we've bought recently, these 1410s
didn't have the nForce drivers installed, but were just using the M$
compatibility drivers. This caused bottlenecks between graphics, disk
and network.

However, both these machines also had non-unique MAC addresses.
00:04:0b:80:80:80 to be precise. Google that and you'll get exactly one
hit. Guess what? It's another nForce-based machine. Looks like a default
config to me. 00:04:0b is 3Com, so I'm not sure who to blame: 3Com,
nVidia, or HP.

So guys 'n' gals, check your nForce-based machines' MAC addresses,
especially HP, especially the a1410e.

cheers,
R.