[Tfug] Screenshots as attachments

Stephen Hooper stephen.hooper at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 13:56:44 MST 2006

I raise objection to image attachments of textual screens, or of log files.

I also raise objection to image attachments of: dialog box errors
(where no further context is needed).

I raise objection to an image attachment of a signature line, or of a
"business" card, or of a little monster/hamster/cat/dog/angel
(basically any cutesy object) giving me unsolicited advice, funny
quotes, or dating advice.

In other words.... if it is plain-old-text, I would object to anyone
attaching it as anything but plain-old-text.

Apart from those few exceptions, speaking for myself, I have no
problems with attachments.

Oh... unless of course they are Word, or Excel (which should pretty
much follow the text rule), unrequested spreadsheets that you could
put in as a CSV (which BTW is much easier to edit with vi (emacs if
you really want)), or things that could be given to me in a CSV file.

And I hate HTML mail that doesn't have a body, but instead expects you
to detach a file to read the message, and then when you do, you are
presented with a magenta script font that looks like someone didn't
graduate the fifth grade.

Ooops, almost forgot message backgrounds where I open your fancy-pancy
email, and am presented with a yellowed parchment that makes it look
like you have indulged yourself in too many fantasy novels; or worse
little Dallas Cowboy football helmets parading underneath the your
fantastic verbal description (I am sure they are a great team).

Not allowing attachments is a pain, and I am sure no one here would do
any of those above things.  But really, now that I think of it:
in-lining text is usually sufficient, quite easy, and if it isn't
sufficient you could always put it on a web server somewhere.