[Tfug] Server purchase (!)

Robert Hunter hunter at tfug.org
Thu Oct 12 23:26:32 MST 2006

> Where does "I want to die" fall on your list?

Claude,  just a few thoughts...

I agree that having a dedicated file server is a good thing.  Since
it's for your personal stuff, you might be able to save a few bucks
by avoiding the "high availability" setup.  e.g., no need for a
fancy rackmount case with dual-PSUs and hot-swap drives.  On the
other hand, RAID is a good thing.  I am preferential to hardware
RAID with the 3ware controllers.  You can probably piece something
together yourself if you have a little time and patience.    On the
other hand if you have adequately lined pockets, or if it's for your
employer, then paying for a warrantied package might be the way to
go.

Depending on the amount of data you are dealing with, you might even
be able to get away with keeping copies of your data at multiple
locations on the neteork.  There are a number of places you can get
shell accounts, e.g. the UofA, Arbornet.  You could even use a Gmail
or Yahoo account for backup purposes, considering the large space
quotas they provide.  Redundant distributed copies of your data is
really the way to go, IMO.

Finally, I highly recommend a version control system like CVS or SVN
for your textual data.  Beside the obvious reason that it is useful
keeping a history of your revisions, these systems also facilitate
the distribution and synchronization of your data.

HTH

--
Rob