[Tfug] Any tips for diagnosing possible hardware problems?

Richie Smit rfs_lists at mac.com
Thu Oct 12 17:01:31 MST 2006

Bexley Hall wrote:
> Very *loose* rule-of-thumb:
...which unfortunately doesn't hold true for floppies! Drat!

I just so happen to have a working box here to look inside. The floppy
connector's pin 1 (red on the cable) is on the left as you look into the
rear of the drive. Opposite way round to the IDE devices, which do
indeed have red/p1 next to the power connector.

If it works, I wouldn't let it worry you. There were a bunch of
otherwise identical machines at my last place of work, and about 5% had
the floppy light always on.

Another rule-of-thumb: Rip out any floppy drives you find. :-P

R.