[Tfug] Any tips for diagnosing possible hardware problems?

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Thu Oct 12 09:42:52 MST 2006

On Thursday 12 October 2006 09:22, Glen Pfeiffer wrote:
> --- Robert Hunter <hunter at tfug.org> wrote:
>
> > > 1) The floppy drive light stays on all the time.
> >
> > Is the cable in the correct orientation?  I.e., did you try
> > "flipping" it?
>
> I didn't do it yet, but that will be my first step. It's unfortunate
> that it can be connected both ways, unlike other types of drives. Makes
> me feel like a newbie. :-)

Bah... makes life hard for those experienced as well. Use to be that many (I
am remembering something like half?) internal IDE and SCSI cables use to not
have the keying tab on the cable end... You could put them on backwards as
well. Made trying to make sure you put the drive cable on correctly, and
didn;t happen to burn out the controller or other drive, an exercise.
Particullarly when you had already installed the drive and could no longer
make out the PCB side to see which direction pin 1 was.

Adrian