[Tfug] Any tips for diagnosing possible hardware problems?

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Thu Oct 12 09:24:50 MST 2006

On Thursday 12 October 2006 08:58, Glen Pfeiffer wrote:
[snip]
> Based on another reply, I guess that does not mean the cd drive was
> bad. I had no idea that a cd could work on one drive and not another.
> How disturbing!

It may not be "bad", just a bit tempermental about disks... some are. I had a
CD/DVD drive that would not/rarely recognize as valid a CDR/DVD-R with less
than ~100MB of data on it... It would always claim it was blank. I always had
to burn a 100MB zero file onto any small CDR I made if I wanted to be able to
read it, though it worked great once it "found" something. Other drives are
partial to reading one type of CDR die contrast and not others.

Adrian