[Tfug] cisco and syslog

Stephen Hooper stephen.hooper at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 17:28:12 MST 2006

Can you change the ports the syslog information is sent to?  Not
pretty, but you could separate out the logs that way.

Or even more hideous, give your syslog host a non-routable IP range,
get all the devices to route to it, and then assign it different IP
addresses, and use a different IP address for each device.

Is this meant to be a solution for you, and yours; or is this meant to
be some kind of public solution?  Either way you would probably get
your ass kicked for suggesting that.

Apart from that, I can only think of the way you have mentioned in
dealing with multiple devices presenting on the same facility is to do
an equivalent grep on the hostnames, as I believe you are doing.

The best way, if you were doing this right would probably be to
write/modify syslog to  keep separate information from separate
machines in separate logs.

Maybe some of the fancier syslog daemons will do that for you, but
then again, they can also do things like throw everything into a MySQL
database, which makes the process trivial as well, but trades off on
accessibility.