[Tfug] Any tips for diagnosing possible hardware problems?

Richie Smit rfs_lists at mac.com
Wed Oct 11 12:37:57 MST 2006

It probably isn't this, but there's a chance it could be the way the
machine configures the I/O addresses for the CD drive. I recently had
the same issue with Xubuntu on a decrepit VAIO slaptop. Solved by
booting the image with the option "ide2=0x180,0x386". Found about that
here: http://www.joechiu.com/computing/vaio/linuxon505.html  Some
similar stuff for other distros here: http://mark.overmeer.net/vaio/

While I was searching this stuff out before, I found a bunch of other
docs about ATA adapters plonking CD devices at all sorts of odd
addresses, so it's not restricted to one measly slaptop.

(Oh, and Xubuntu on this VAIO is quite good actually, even if you don't
consider it only has 128 MB. Worth keeping for a few more years.)

R.