[Tfug] Any tips for diagnosing possible hardware problems?

Glen Pfeiffer glen_ap at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 10 16:09:29 MST 2006

Can anyone offer any assistance on how to diagnose which (if any)
hardware component is bad? Here is my problem...

I have been trying to install either Ubuntu or Debian (preferred) on a
PIII. I am confident the media is okay because both cd's have worked
flawlessly in several other instances, but both are failing on this one
PC.

Symptoms:
* Ubuntu: Reaches the "mounting root file system" stage, and hangs
forever (well, at least an hour). I can't figure out how to see
detailed messages, so if you think that will help, can you give me a
pointer on that? Remember, it's not booted yet, and I don't seem to
have access to the other virtual terminals.

* Debian: Starts the text based installer, allows me to choose my
language, etc. Then it probes the hardware and hangs. Again, I don't
know how to see detailed messages at this point either.

I have removed most of the non-essential hardware (floppy, agp video
card), and still have the same issue. I have also swapped out the hard
drive as it was suspect. I have checked all the cables, and replaced
many of them. I have tested the memory in another pc and verified that
it is alright.

At this point I am thinking either the motherboard, cpu or possibly the
CD drive. I haven't the first clue on how to diagnose them apart from
replacing the part and trying again (and I don't have enough spare
parts - these are my spares). Any help?

Thanks!
Glen